Advertisement

Bait n berley, softbaiting and even a bit of skute'n in the shallows - fun kiwi adventure....

Bait n berley, softbaiting and even a bit of skute'n in the shallows - fun kiwi adventure.... Bait n berley, softbaiting and even a bit of skute'n - fun day in the little FC

It's been awhile since fishing with Pea but I thought it was time to get him back out in the fresh salt air - the plan was to just go have a bit of fun on the Harbour.

With a not to bad forecast for the morning with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms we got to the ramp around 7.30, we didn't have to much of a plan on where we were going to fish or target but we were hoping for a bit of a mixed bin.

Snappers were def on the cards but we were hoping for a few Gurnard and maybe even some Harbour Trev's if we were lucky. We started with the softbaits just across from the launch but with nothing on the bite there we made our way up to a little channel we fish sometimes.

We started our drift again - I stuck with the softies while Pea went bait on the drift, sometimes drift fishing baits works really well for us so the challenge was on to see what was going to work best. There was a lot of sign on the Lowrance and it didn't lie. We were pretty much straight into them. The bait was going great with Pea hooking up easy but I wasn't to far behind on the softies.

There was a heap of fish coming aboard around that 35-40cm but nothing bigger - It was cool trying different softies size and colors. We had caught and released a heap of fish over the hour so I decided to have a flick of the skute - I still do find these hard to fish at times but the fish I have caught with them have been of the better size.

It took a few flicks to get that swimming action and with a couple of nudges something solid grabbed it - it hadn't disappointed catching the best fish for this spot. We decided to do a shift on the turn of the tide to see if our carrot spot would produce - it took a little while to produce but we n=managed half a doz nice carrots before moving on to my favorite incoming spot. We set the berley and settled into the afternoon sesh with darkening clouds forming.

We sat for the hour of the bottom and Pea was thinking should we just go back to where we started this morning - I find it hard to move from this spot as it can produce some solid fish to 70cm and I know if we could hang in there on the turn it should fire for us. It took awhile but my first bite was an absolute ripper - line peeled rod buckled and I struck. "Suck" waiting all that time and I missed it....

I knew from that that we would catch fish here - the water was warm so I also knew there would be plenty of smaller fish. We started to catch the familiar 35-40cm after that hit but I wanted to just fish it out. We caught fish after fish then sometimes it would go quite - a couple more baits and I once again got sassed. Rod buckled stayed buckle through the strike line peeled but I dropped it again. This happened to me a couple times but managed to make one stick - not as big as the previous hits it was still a nice little red to around 55cm. Pea even picked a a couple more Gurnard.

With the berley done and out of bait we called it a day - a great day out and a fun catch up fish with Pea. I even managed a nice Trev to finish the day of so we ended up with a nice mixed bin in the end.

Tight lines

Fishing,Fishing the kaipara,kaipara Harbour,West coast,Auckland's west coast,straylining,softbaiting,skute,fishing the skute,snapper on a skute,FC boats,FC430,Okuma,nanomatrix softbait rod,helios,reel kiwi fishing,fish whisperer,fishing NZ,Snapper fishing,reel kiwi adventures,reel kiwi fishing adventures,how to softbait the kaipara,kiwi adventures,small boat fishing,

Post a Comment

0 Comments