Advertisement

Learning How to Ream Holes Accurately in the Watchmakers Lathe – Watchmaking Vlog 33

Learning How to Ream Holes Accurately in the Watchmakers Lathe – Watchmaking Vlog 33 Today on this watchmaking vlog episode 33 – I practice reaming holes with different methods, as I had issues yesterday when I realised my precision hole was oversized. I found out how to ream a hole accurately in the lathe. The secret to success is to make sure that the spindle speed is low, and the feed rate of the reamer is fast.

Here is a list of other possible issues to why a reamed hole is oversized.
1) Spindle Run Out
2) Reamer Not aligning with Pre-Drilled Hole
3) Spindle Speed and Reamer Feed (spinning too fast and reaming too slow)
4) Chamfer edge of hole. No Built Up Edge
5) Allow some play in Reamer


So now I got that issue sorted, its time I can progress with making a jig to be able to machine and make certain parts of the watch accurately.
Also, I’m going to try an salvage my last balance bridge for my watch, which is based on a modified ETA 6498 movement. So I can try to find any other issues.

Never Give Up!

Thanks for watching.

Dean DK

dean dk,watchmaking vlog,reaming holes,ream hole oversize,how to ream hole in lathe,how to ream holes,watchmaker (profession),making a watch,eta 6498,balance wheel bridge,stud holder,eta 6498-1 movement,build a watch,hole reamer,watchmaking,horology,

Post a Comment

0 Comments