Advertisement

Ubuntu: How can I setup SSH so that it is restricted to my local network?

Ubuntu: How can I setup SSH so that it is restricted to my local network? Ubuntu: How can I setup SSH so that it is restricted to my local network?


The Question: I'm trying to link my new laptop running 11.10 to my old laptop running 8.04
through my router using SSH.
This question is asked and answered on ubuntuforums here:

I thought it would be helpful to have a more definitive answer here.
Note: I needed to first install openssh-server on the laptop I was trying to
connect to and open up the SSH port in my firewall using firestarter.

Solutions Sample (Please watch the whole video to see all solutions, in order of how many people found them helpful):

== This solution helped 1 person ==
ssh(secure shell) is used to access and transfer data securely(used RSA_KEYS
pair). You can access data using ssh in two ways 1. Command line 2. using file
browser
Command Line: For this you don't need to install anything. First task is log-in
into other computer.
ssh other_computer_username@other_computer_ip
This command will ask for a password which is the other computer's password(for
specific user-name). You have just logged in to other computer's shell. Think
this terminal is like your computer shell terminal. You can do everything using
shell to other computer that can you do in your computer
File browser: You need to install openssh-server
sudo apt-get install openssh-server
To log-in go to file->connectToServer


With thanks & praise to God! With thanks to the many people who have made this project possible! | Content (except music & images) licensed under cc by-sa 3.0 | Music: | Images: & others | With thanks to user shantanu ( user Panther ( user klenwell ( and the Stack Exchange Network ( Trademarks are property of their respective owners. Disclaimer: All information is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. You are responsible for your own actions. Please contact me if anything looks amiss at Roel D.OT VandePaar A.T gmail.com.

Ubuntu,11.10,networking,lan,problem,answer,answers,

Post a Comment

0 Comments